Determined to have delicious Gyros, I made my own gyro-spiced seitan and marinade. You can use my seitan recipe, or just marinate store-bought seitan. Either way, deliciousness awaits. Especially smothered in Tzatziki sauce and served with Greek Styled Potatoes.
1/2 red onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
4 Pita bread
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice from 1/2 lemon
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt
1/4 cup vegan sour cream (Tofutti)
3 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
1 tsp dried dill
2/3 cup cucumber, peeled, deseeded, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 a lemon, juiced
Salt & pepper to taste.
1. Combine gyro marinade ingredients. Thinly slice gyro seitan then marinate in refrigerator for 1 to 8 hours.
2. Drain finely chopped cucumber in colander to remove excess liquid, then combine with remaining Tzatziki ingredients. Refrigerate for 1 or more hours.
3. In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute gyro slices in skillet until browned on both sides, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side. Work in batches so not to crowd seitan in skillet.
4. Warm pita in separate skillet or oven.
5. Assemble gyros in pita with lettuce, gyro seitan, tzatziki, sliced onions and tomatoes. Serve with Greek style potatoes.