With all the fantastic vegan products available now, nothing stands in the way of enjoying traditional recipes. I used Impossible meat, vegan breadcrumbs from Trader Joes, vegan worchestire sauce from Amazon, Better Than Bouillon "no beef" broth and Miyoko vegan butter. I served these steaks with Potato-Leek Wellington
2 x 12 oz packages plant-based meat
1/2 cup vegan breadcrumbs
1.5 tsp all purpose seasoning
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp "no beef" vegan bouillon paste or 1 "not beef" cubes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, chopped
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp vegan butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups "no beef" vegan broth
1 cup water
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
1. In a bowl, combine the plant-based meat, breadcrumbs, all purpose seasoning, tomato paste, dry mustard, vegan Worcestershire sauce and no beef bouillon paste/cube. Mix with hands until well combined. Form 6 oval patties then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook steaks until browned, approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove from skillet, set saide.
3. Add onion and garlic to skillet and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, sprinkle with a good pinch of salt and pepper and continue cook for another 5 minutes until golden. Decrease heat to medium. Add vegan butter. Once melted, sprinkle flour over skillet and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually wisk in no beef broth and water, stirring continuously. Bring to a simmer then stir in dijon mustard and vegan worchestire sauce.
4. Return steaks to skillet. Decrease heat to medium-low and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until gravy is thickened.
5. Serve Salisbury steaks with mashed potatoes and smother with mushroom gravy.