My grandmother used to make mashed potato pie with mashed potatoes and fried onions baked in pie crust. It was my favorite dish. I've updated her classic recipe with leeks sautéed in vegan butter, then wrapped in puff pastry. So simple, so fancy and oh so yum.
2.5- 3 lbs russet or gold potatoes, peeled & cubed
1/4 cup vegan butter
3 leeks, white & light green parts only
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
1/2 cup plant milk
Salt & pepper
1 sheet puff pastry
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with 1 inch cold water and add 1 tsp salt. Bring to boil then cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until fork tender. Drain, return to pot and set aside.
2. While potatoes are cooking, chop leeks then wash thoroughly under cold water to remove grit. Drain well.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the vegan butter. Saute leeks, with a good pinch of saltvand pepper, until softened and translucent, approximately 15 minutes. Stir regularly so not to burn.
4. Add leeks to potatoes in pot along with vegan sour cream, plant milk, 1/2 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper. Mash to desired consistency. Set aside until potatoes reach room temperature before wrapping in pastry.
5. Preheat oven to 425°F (or follow directions on puff pastry package). Allow sheet of puff pastry to thaw to room temperature on parchment paper. I use Wewalka brand puff pastry which is already thawed and can be found in the refrigerated section. Spread mashed potatoes along the center 1/3 rd of puff pastry leaving 1 inch of pastry visible at ends. Carefully roll up puff pastry, place seam side down and tuck in ends by folding in like wrapping a present. Brush with plant milk or melted vegan butter. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Slice and serve.