Got an air fryer? Here's a quick way to make crispy tofu in under 15 minutes. I used firm tofu that I froze and thawed twice(poke a hole in package to drain fluid then freeze the package) to give a chewy inner texture to the tofu while the outside crisps. If you don't have time to freeze and thaw, just use super firm tofu instead. No air fryer? Oven instructions included. No rules, just yum. I served these bad boys with pan seared baby bok choy and steamed rice.
15 oz Firm tofu (frozen and defrosted) or use super firm tofu
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 Tbsp sesame oil (or oil of choice)
1. Drain, press and pat dry tofu. Tear tofu apart into chunks or cut into cubes. Wisk together sweet chili sauce and soy sauce.
2. Add tofu to a mixing bowl and carefully toss with half the sweet chili & soy sauce mixture to coat evenly. (Refrigerate for 6+ hours if desired to marinade)
3. Sprinkle cornstarch, garlic powder, ground ginger, salt and pepper over tofu then toss carefully to coat. Drizzle oil over tofu and toss once more.
4. Preheat air fryer to 370°F for 5 minutes. The add tofu and airfry @370°F for 14 to 21 minutes pausing every 7 minutes to flip tofu to avoid uneven cooking. (If baking, bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes also flipping every 7-8 minutes for best results)
5. Toss crispy tofu with remaining sweet chili sauce & soy sauce mixture. Sprinkle with sliced scallions before serving.