Do you like it hot? If so, firecracker sauce baked onto crispy tofu is what you're looking for. I served it with Thai Coleslaw to tame the heat. I also suggest an iced-cold drink near by.
14 oz extra firm tofu, drained, pressed
1/2 cup Frank's hot sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup panko crumbs or vegan bread crumbs
Oil for frying
2 scallions, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small bowl wisk together Frank's hot sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes. Set aside
2. Pat dry tofu then slice into 8 planks. Add the cornstarch to a medium bowl, wisk in 1/4 cup water. Add the panko breadcrumbs to a plate. Coat the tofu in the cornstarch mixture and then press into the panko crumbs.
3. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, lay the tofu into the skillet and cook until browned, approximately 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel lined-plate and sprinkle with salt.
4. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Place tofu in dish then cover with firecracker sauce. Bake 20 minutes, flip making sure to coat with sauce, then bake another 10 minutes.
5. Serve sprinkled with scallions.