Game day potato skins get an update with crispy mini potatoes baked in the oven(or pan fried if preferred), drizzled with 3 ingredient vegan cheese sauce and topped with crispy vegan bacon(I used Sweet Earth brand) and sliced onions then served with jalapeño sour cream. Game on.
2 lb mini potatoes
3 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp smoked paprika
2/3 cup vegan sour cream
1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and minced
1 package vegan bacon
2 cups shredded vegan cheese
1/2-2/3 cup plant-based milk
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
3 scallions, sliced
1. Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to boil, then cook 15-18 minutes, until tender. Drain water and remove from pot. Allow potatoes to cool to room temperature before proceeding. I suggest placing potatoes on a parchment paper lined baking sheet so potatoes aren't touching each other to protect skins from tearing. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Once potatoes have cooled, place in a bowl and gently toss with olive oil and smoked paprika. Using tongs, place each potato onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Reserve oil in bowl. Gently smash each potato with a fork trying to keep potato intact. Drizzle reserved oil over potatoes then season well with salt and pepper. Bake 40 minutes. Turn broiler on high and broil for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. While potatoes are baking combine sourcream with jalapeños and a pinch of salt. You may need to add 1-2 Tbsp plant-based milk if too thick.
4. Cook bacon according to package directions. Cool to touch then chop.
5. Prepare cheese sauce by placing shredded cheese and plant-based milk in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until cheese begins to melt then use wisk to stir until smooth. Wisk in nutritional yeast. Add a little more milk if desired. Set aside to thicken slightly.
6. To serve, place crispy potatoes on a platter. Season with salt. Drizzle cheese sauce over potatoes then sprinkle chopped bacon and sliced scallions over top. Serve with jalapeño sour cream.