If you've never been to Chicago Diner, you don't know what you're missing. However, if you have, you know their Radical Rueben is their signature dish. I bought their cookbook and made them myself. It was as delicious as getting it from the Chicago Diner itself.
CORNED BEEF MARINADE
1 cup pickle juice
3/4 cup beet juice(from jar/can)
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp carraway seeds
1/2 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles
1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced
1/4 cup sweet red pepper, sliced
1/4 cup green pepper, sliced
1 1/3 cup sauerkraut
8 slices marble rye bread
1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Combine marinade ingredients together in a large container. Thinly slice seitan then marinate in refrigerator for a few hours to 1 day. Yes it is worth the wait.
2. Stir together thousand island dressing ingredients.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 Tbsp oil then saute onions and peppers for 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer to bowl, keep warm.
4. Saute sauerkraut for 5 minutes. Remove from skillet, keep warm.
5. Add a little more oil to skillet. Drain marinade from seitan, then cook seitan for 5 to 7 minutes.
6. Toast bread. Spread thousand island dressing onto each piece.
7. Layer sandwiches with corned seitan, sauerkraut, onion & pepper mixture then top with shredded vegan cheese and toasted bread. Slice and serve.