Open wide for these delicious double decker burgers. I actually split 1 burger patty into 2 thin ones and added a middle bun to create this mammoth looking burger, but a single patty is not only equally delish, but simpler to prepare. This is my favorite burger recipe with caramelized onions, pickle jalapeños, herbed mayonnaise and Chao cheese. They can be prepared either on the grill or stove top. **recipe is for 2 burgers*
1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 tsp sugar
2 Plant-based burger patties
3 vegan hamburger buns
2 slices Chao 'original' vegan cheese
Sliced pickled jalapeño peppers
1. Wisk together vegan mayonnaise and minced garlic. Set aside.
2. Form 2 thin patties out of each burger patty. Use circular biscuit form if available.
3. Slice the top off one of the hamburger buns slightly so it can be used as a center bun.
4. In a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil, saute red onion for 5 minutes(or grill them on the BBQ). Sprinkle sugar over onions and continue to cook until browned and caramelized, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from skillet, set aside. Wipe skillet.
5. Return skillet to medium heat. Cook the burgers for 3 minutes on each side. Add vegan cheese during last minute of cooking, adding 1 tbsp of water to pan and covering with lid until cheese melted.
6. While burgers are cooking, toast buns in a separate pan over medium low heat. Remove and dress bottom and middle buns each with garlic sauce and lettuce.
7. When burgers are done, place the patties with cheese onto bottom buns. Top with middle bun, second patty, caramelized onions and pickled jalapeños.