Simple summer lunch, brunch or dinner idea using Kite Hill vegan ricotta cheese in zuchinni roll ups(involtini) baked in your favorite marinara sauce(Rao's marinara sauce is fabulous) . I served them with a summer salad and garlic bread. Vegan ricotta is simple to make if you don't have access to Kite Hill ricotta. Yum!
2 lbs zucchini (3 medium)
6 cups baby spinach
1/8 tsp red chili flakes
8 oz Kite Hill vegan ricotta
Zest from one lemon
2/3 cup shredded vegan parmesan(Violife)
28 oz marinara sauce(I use Rao's)
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Trim the ends off zucchinis. Stand each vertically, and make 1/4-inch thick cuts down to create long slices. Arrange the slices on 2 parchment paper lined sheetpans. Drizzle the zucchini with 1 Tbsp olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven to let cool enough to handle.
2. While zucchini is roasting, heat a skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tsp olive oil. Sauté spinach until wilted, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and chili flakes while cooking. Place spinach in a colander and squeeze liquid out with the back of a large spoon. Place spinach in a towel to sqeeze as much liquid out as possible. Place spinach in a large bowl.
3. Add vegan ricotta to bowl of spinach along with vegan parmesan cheese, lemon zest and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Place marinara sauce into a 9"x13" baking dish.
5. Scoop 1 Tbsp of ricotta mixture onto end of zuchinni strip. Roll up and place, seam side down, into marinara sauce. Repeat with remaining zuchinni strips. Sprinkle zuchinni involtini with a pinch of salt and pepper.
6. Bake 25 minutes. Turn broiler to high and broil 3 to 4 minutes to brown zuchinni. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with additional vegan parmesan cheese if desired.