Zucchinis stuffed with plant-based sausage and served over sautéed kale and basil cream. The basil cream is a wonderful contrast and you'll want to wipe up every little bit of it.
3lb zucchini or 4-6 medium
1 cup vegan sour cream
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
4 Beyond vegan Italian sausages
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large shallot, chopped
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp red chile flakes
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup cup panko breadcrumbs
1 bunch kale, destemmed & chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Halve the zucchinis lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop the seeds and some of the flesh out to form boats, reserve and chop. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast the zucchini until just tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
2. In a bowl, combine sour cream, 1/3 cup chopped basil leaves and 2 Tbsp olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
3. Cook sausages in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up while cooking, until lightly browned, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add reserved zucchini flesh, shallot, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chopped tomato and cook until hot, about 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in panko breadcrumbs and remaining basil; season well with salt and pepper.
4. Turn zucchini over and fill with the sausage stuffing. Place in the oven to bake until lightly browned on top, approximately 9 to 11 minutes.
5. Destem and roughly chop kale leaves. Return the large skillet to medium-high heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Once hot, add the chopped kale and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
6. To serve, spread the basil cream onto plates. Top with sautéed kale and Beyond stuffed zucchini.
Below is a pic of a giant zucchini I grew in my garden, so I stuffed it and served it on a platter family style.