This is my most favorite chili recipe ever. I first tasted it while on vacation in Costa Rica and was determined to get the recipe. Although I've made a few alterations to suit my preferences, it's pretty close to the original. I served it with vegan sourcream and vegan corn bread. Note* this version is chunky because that's the way I like it; feel free to chop the veggies smaller
1 cup frozen corn
1 onion, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 tsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp chipotle in adobo
15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz cans dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
28 oz can diced tomatoes
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
1. In Dutch oven or skillet, over medium high heat, add 1 Tbsp oil. Sauté corn until browned, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. Add additional 1 Tbsp oil to Dutch oven/skillet then sauté onions for 3 to 4 minutes, season well with salt and pepper. Add sweet potatoes and green pepper and continue to cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Season with another pinch of salt.
3. Stir in garlic, cocoa powder, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and chipotle in adobo; cook to release aromatics, approximately 1 minute.
4. Add charred corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, kidney beans, salt and 1 cup water. Bring to boil then reduced heat and simmer covered for approximately 45 minutes.
5. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with chopped cilantro(optional).