Although corn bread is usually served with chili, I think of it as dessert. Whatever reason, it's just delicious.
1/4 cup vegan butter
1 cup unflavored plant milk
1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar(I used coconut sugar)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. Heat the oven to 400°F. Spray the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan or 9-inch round cake pan with the cooking spray.
2. Combine ground flax seeds with 3 Tbsp water. Let sit 10 minutes before using. Melt vegan butter.
3. In a large bowl, beat the melted butter, plant milk and flax egg with a fork or wire whisk until well mixed. In a separate bowl combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until the flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
4. Pour batter into the pan; use a rubber spatula to scrape batter from bowl. Spread batter evenly in pan and smooth top of batter.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.