Chick'n enchilada soup is a tasty and easy way to create dinner from the pantry in about 30 minutes. Soy curls, rehydrated then shredded in a food processor, substitute beautifully for chicken while pantry staples and spices come together for a hearty soup/stew. So yum.
1/2 bag(4oz) Butler Soy Curls
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning(optional)
4.5 cups 'no chicken' vegetable broth, divided
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
10 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
4 oz can green chiles
10 oz can red enchilada sauce
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn kernels(fresh, frozen or canned)
3/4 tsp salt
4 oz vegan cream cheese
For serving- tortilla chips, avocado, vegan sour cream, shredded vegan cheese, chopped cilantro
1. Heat 1 cup broth to near boiling. Wisk poultry seasoning into broth. Place soy curls in a bowl then pour broth over them. Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so liquid is absorbed evenly. Once rehydrated, squeeze liquid out with towel. Place in a food processor and pulse until shredded, approximately 7 to 8 pulses. **Chop rehydrated by hand if no food processor available.
2. In a large pot/dutch oven over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp oil, sauté onion until translucent approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Saute 30 seconds to release aromatics.
3. Stir in remaining 3.5 cups 'no chicken' broth, fire roasted tomatoes, green chilies, enchilada sauce, black beans, corn and 3/4 tsp salt. Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer 15 minutes
4. Stir in shredded soy curls. Return to boiling, then reduce heat and continue to simmer another 10 minutes.
5. Stir in vegan cream cheese and continue to cook until melted and well mixed, approximately 2-3 minutes.
6. Serve Chick'n Enchilada Soup topped with vegan sour cream, shredded vegan cheese, avocado and chopped cilantro with tortilla chips on the side.