Got a 'meat and potatoes' omni to impress? This veganized version of classic comfort food should do it. So good. Fieldroast Apple-sage sausages work best in this recipe in my opinion.
4 Fieldroast Smoked Apple Sage Sausages
1.5 cups peas
2 lbs potatoes(Yukon gold or russet)
1 onion, chopped
4 Tbsp vegan butter, divided
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 3/4 cups plain plant milk
1 tsp dijon mustard
1. Preheat oven to 355°F. Thinly slice potatoes(no need to peel). I used my food processor to slice potatoes. Slice sausage into 1/4 moons. Lightly spray 2 quart baking dish.
2. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until lightly browned, approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
3. Add 3 Tbsp of vegan butter to skillet. Sauté onions approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour, salt and pepper over onions. Stir and cook for approximately 2 minutes. Slowly wisk in plant milk a little at a time, whisking continuously. Bring to boil, stir in dijon mustard and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
4. Layer bottom of baking dish with 1/3 of potatoes. Cover with 1/2 the sausage and 1/2 the peas. Repeat with 1/3 potatoes. Pour half the cream sauce over potatoes, peas and sausage. Layer remaining sausage and peas over potatoes, then top with remaining 1/3 potatoes. Pour remaing sauce over casserole, and dot with remaining 1 Tbsp vegan butter.
5. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake for another 60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.