This simple skillet dinner is a delightful combination of sweet and savory flavors and chock-full of nutritious goodness. I made farro in my instantpot farro:water 1: 2 ratio, for 7 minutes with natural release.
1 1/4 cup farro
4 Field Roast apple sage sausage, sliced
8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 shallot, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 apples, roughly chopped
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar(I prefer to use white balsamic vinegar)
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 tsp herb du provence
8 oz baby spinach
1. Prepare farro according to package directions. Drain excess liquid. Set aside. Mix herb du provence and dijon mustard with 1 Tbsp water. Set aside.
2. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil, saute sausage, stirring occasionally, until browned, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
3. Return the skillet to medium-high heat with another 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add mushrooms and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the shallot, garlic, diced apple, and a pinch of salt and pepper, tossing occasionally, until the apple is caramelized in places, about 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Add the balsamic vinegar to the skillet and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 30 seconds. Stir in dijon mustard herb blend then add cooked farro and baby spinach; toss well. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Return sausage to skillet, mix in and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and serve.
Recipe adapted from Purple Carrot