Looking for a vegan macaroni and cheese recipe that's both tasty and simple to make? This recipe cooks in one pot in about 20 minutes, start to finish. Kid approved. Heck your kids could make this mac & cheese for themselves.
3 cups plain/unflavored plant milk, divided
2 cups "no chicken" vegetable broth
1 tsp white miso paste
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp tumeric
8 oz elbow macaroni
7oz vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Chopped parsley for serving (optional)
1. In a large pot, wisk together just 2 cups plant milk, "no chicken" vegetable broth, tumeric, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and white miso paste. Bring to boil.
2. Once boiling, stir in pasta. Boil pasta, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until pasta al dente and most of liquid absorbed, approximately 12 to 13 minutes. *add an additional 1/2 cup broth or water if too much liquid absorbed
3. While pasta is cooking, heat remaing 1 cup plant-based milk and shredded vegan cheddar in microwave for 1 minute. Wisk well then microwave another 1 minute. Wisk until smooth. Wisk in nutritional yeast, lemon juice and cornstarch and continue to wisk until smooth.
4. Stir milk and cheese mixture into pasta. Continue to cook, stirring frequently for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 3-5 minutes before serving.
5. Sprinkle with chopped parsley (optional)