Chao brand vegan cheese recently released sheds to the market. I knew exactly what I was going to do with them. This is the creamiest vegan mac & cheese ever. I topped mine with an optional panko crumbs mixture and broiled it for a few minutes. So yum!
1 lb macaroni or pasta of choice
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1/4 cup vegan butter
2 Tbsp white miso paste
3 Tbsp flour
3 cups plain plant milk, heated
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp dried ground mustard
1/4 tsp turmeric(optional for color)
7 oz bag Chao original shreds
1 Tbsp vegan butter
1/4 cup panko crumbs
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1. Prepare pasta to al dente according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in onion, garlic, miso paste, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute until the onion is translucent, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in flour and continue to cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly wisk in the milk. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Wisk in 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, ground mustard and tumeric if using. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Transfer to a blender. Add the shredded Chao cheese then blend until smooth, approximately 1 minute.
3. Lightly grease a baking dish then combine the pasta with the cheese sauce.
4. If using panko crumb topping, melt 1 Tbsp vegan butter then mix it with panko crumbs and 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast. Sprinkle over mac & cheese.
5. Bake 20 minutes then broil on high to brown topping, approximately 3 minutes.