Seasoned and cooked Soy Curls are the perfect vegan substitute for jerk chicken. I've made jerk soy curls before piled onto buns then topped with Mango-Cilantro Coleslaw, yum. This time Jerk Soy Curls are served over Red Beans Coconut Rice then drizzled with a Mango-Tahini sauce.
3/4 bag (6oz) Butler Soy Curls
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2- 2 Tbsp jerk seasoning or paste
1.5 Tbsp maple syrup
2 limes, zested
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
14 oz can coconut milk
2/3 cup water
1 1/4 cups basmati/jasmine rice
15 oz can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 large mango, peeled, seed removed
3 Tbsp tahini
3 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2" ginger, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil. Place soy curls in a bowl then pour boiled water over soy curls. Let stand 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain and pat dry, squeezing liquid out of the soy curls(I use my salad spinner to remove liquid then pat dry in a towel). Return to dry bowl.
2. While soy curls are soaking wisk together jerk seasoning or paste, maple syrup, juice from 1 lime, soy sauce and 2 Tbsp oil. **if using jerk paste, reduce oil to 1 Tbsp. Toss soy curls with jerk mixture to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat with 2 tsp oil, saute the minced onion and garlic. Cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the rice, coconut milk, 1.5 tsp salt, and 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until water is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes. When the rice has finished cooking, stir in the lime zest and kidney beans. Cover and let stand while cooking soy curls.
4. While the rice is cooking, make Mango-Tahini sauce by blending together mango flesh, tahini, maple syrup, 3 Tbsp water, lime juice, salt and tumeric. Set aside.
5. In a large skillet/wok over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp oil, stir fry soy curls until well browned, approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
6. Serve Jerk Soy Curls over Coconut Rice drizzled with Mango-Tahini sauce and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedges(optional).