Another classic goes vegan with soy curls, eggless noodles, Better Than Bouillon "No Chick'n" broth, and non-dairy milk, cheese & sourcream. Although I used Butler Soy Curls, any plant-based chicken would substitute nicely. Eggless noodles are available from Walmart, but any noodle will do. No panko crumbs? Use crushed chips or crackers instead. If you don't feel like chopping carrots and celery, substitute an additional 2 cups of frozen vegetables instead. No rules, just yum.
12 oz eggless noodles(Walmart brand)
4oz soy curls
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup plant-based butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken flavored vegetable broth
1 cup plant-based milk
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 cup vegan sourcream
1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup panko crumbs(crushed chips or crackers)
1. Place soy curls in a bowl. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil then pour over soy curls, stir to ensure all soy curls absorb broth. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry, squeezing liquid out of the soy curls(I use my salad spinner to remove liquid then squeeze dry in a towel). Roughly chop soy curls into small pieces. Set aside. * If you have Chick-Style seasoning from Butler, toss soy curls in 1 Tbsp seasoning.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook eggless noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add vegan butter. Once melted, sauté onion, celery and carrots for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season well with salt and pepper.
4. Add soy curls and garlic to skillet and continue to cook another 3-4 minutes.
5. Stir in flour, and continue to cook, stirring continuously for 2 minutes. Slowly wisk in broth and milk, and continue to cook, stirring continuously, for 3 to 4 minutes, until sauce thickens. *heated broth & milk works best.
6. Stir in frozen corn and peas. Continue to cook until heated through, approximately 2 minutes.
7. Stir in nutritional yeast, 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheddar and vegan sour cream. Continue to cook, stirring until dissolved. Remove from heat.
8. Stir in noodles until well coated then transfer to greased 2-quart baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle crushed panko crumbs over casserole. Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.