Risotto is a slowly cooked, carefully attended to, creamy rice dish made with arborio rice, white wine, vegan butter and broth. I used to be intimidated by risotto, but it's actually pretty simple to make. I used dried wild mushrooms along with fresh cremini mushrooms but any mushrooms you prefer can be used. So pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy making this fancy dish like a pro.
6 cups vegetable broth or "no chicken" broth
1 oz dried wild mushrooms(optional)
1 lb cremini mushrooms(mini bella), sliced
1 large shallot, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1.5 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine(I suggest Pino Grigio)
1 bay leaf
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup grated vegan Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp vegan butter
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Bring broth to a simmer in a saucepan. Remove from heat. Add dried mushrooms and let soak for 30 minutes. Remove mushrooms from broth then chop. Return broth to stove and simmer on low to keep hot.
2. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp vegan butter. Saute mushrooms until soft and lightly browned, approximately 8 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet and set aside.
3. Add another 1 Tbsp of oil and 1 Tbsp vegan butter to skillet. Saute shallots and garlic until tender approximately 3 minutes. Sprinkle thyme over shallots and continue to cook 30 seconds to release the aromatics
4. Add rice and stir until rice well coated and begins to crackle, stirring occasionally *this will take a few minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring until wine absorbed. Add the bay leaf to the skillet. Using a soup ladle, begin to add the broth 1 ladleful at a time. Cook, stirring often until broth is just about absorbed. Continue to add the broth by ladelful and continue cooking, stirring often and adding more stock when rice is almost dry. Each ladelful of broth should take a few minutes to absorb. After approximately 25 to 30 minutes, the rice will be cooked to al dente. Reserve 1 ladelful of broth for finishing in step #6.
5. Stir in mushrooms, peas and remaining 2 Tbsp vegan butter. Continue to cook until heated through. Adjust seasoning to taste. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in remaining broth, parsley and vegan parmesan. Serve promptly with additional vegan parmesan.