Not only does this stew's savory goodness warm you, it's chock full of nutritional goodness too. Eat it with French bread to soak up the juice. Yum Adapted from Purple Carrot.
1 cup French lentils(Le Puy or green)
1 lb white mushrooms, sliced
8 oz curly kale, destemmed & chopped
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp dried
1/3 cup dry white wine
3 cups vegetable broth
14oz can coconut milk
1 Tbsp tamari/Bragg's aminos
1. Cook lentils according to package directions. I used my instantpot, 11 minutes natural release. Set aside.
2. In a Dutch oven or deep skillet over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp oil, saute mushrooms until browned and liquid evaporated, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Season well with salt & pepper. Remove half the mushrooms and transfer to a blender.
3. Add shallot and garlic to dutch oven with remaining mushrooms and contine to saute approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Add the thyme and saute for another minute. Add kale and cook until kale is bright green, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine to the mixture and cook to allow the alcohol to cook off for a for about 30 seconds, then add the vegetable broth and reduce heat to a simmer.
4. Add the coconut milk and tamari to blender with the mushrooms and blend until smooth. Add the mushroom cream to the stew and bring to a simmer and continueto cook another 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Stir in cooked, drained lentils to stew, and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.