Roasting cauliflower whole simply makes life easier; just coat it in seasoned oil and pop it in the oven. It comes out beautifully browned, tender and tasty. I served it over kale & beans braised in savory coconut milk.
1 head of cauliflower leaves removed
2 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Italian seasonings
1/2 tsp dried parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
Vegan Parmesan cheese
(BRAISED KALE & BEANS)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves chopped
15 oz can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
15 oz can coconut milk
1 tsp No Chick'n Bouillon base
1/2 cup water
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut and remove the leaves from the head of cauliflower. Cut and remove the thick white stalk at the base of the head of cauliflower.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the butter, oil, Italian seasonings, parsley and garlic. Place cauliflower head upside down in an oven safe dish/skillet/dutch oven. Brush half the herb sauce onto the cauliflower allowing some to drip into the crevices, then season with salt and pepper. Turn over and brush the remaining mixture over the cauliflower to coat well. Season with salt & pepper.
3. Cover cauliflower head with aluminum foil and cook in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Turn the oven broiler to high and broil for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
4. While cauliflower roasting, prepare kale and beans by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat, with 2 tsp olive oil. Saute onion and garlic until onions are translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, bouillon concentrate, 1/2 cup water, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a low boil. Stir in the cannellini beans and kale. Cover until kale wilted then stir until coated. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the mixture thickens, about 8 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer kale and beans to a platter. Sprinkle with chili flakes (optional). Top with whole roasted cauliflower in the center. Sprinkle with grated vegan parmesan cheese. To serve, cut cauliflower into quarters.