Any reason for mashed potatoes is good enough for me but paired with tasty red lentils, dill and garlic makes them extra yum. Add cauliflower roasted in a tahini-smoked paprika sauce, green beans and pumpkins seeds for a tasty dinner that cooks in 30 minutes.
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
1.5 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 lb potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 cup red lentils
1 lb green beans, trimmed
3 Tbsp white vinegar
3 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped(3 tsp dried)
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Whisk together tahini, 2 cloves minced garlic, smoked paprika, 3 Tbsp olive oil, lemon juice, and 3/4 tsp salt until well combined. Toss with cauliflower florets until well coated. Place onto a a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving room for the green beans to be added later. Bake 15 minutes.
2. In a medium stockpot add the lentils and potatoes. Cover with water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork-tender, approximately 15 minutes.
3. Toss the green beans with 2 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Remove cauliflower from oven at the 15 minute mark, turn over then sprinkle the pumpkin seeds over cauliflower. Add the green beans to the other half of the baking sheet. Return to oven and bake another 15 to 17 minutes.
4. Drain potatoes and lentils. Add 1.5 Tbsp olive oil, vinegar, remaining minced garlic and 2 Tbsp chopped dill to the saucepan with the red lentil mixture. Gently mash until mostly smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve the tahini cauliflower and roasted green beans over the lentil potato mash and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds from the sheetpan. Sprinkle with any remaining chopped dill.
Adapted recipe from Purple Carrot