This simple creamy sausage pasta recipe, originally from "This Savory Vegan" is beyond yum with Beyond sausages, vegan cream cheese and Violife vegan parmesan. I was tempted to add frozen peas, but I used a little restraint and opted out, but I love peas in pasta. Next time, the peas are going in.
12 oz rigatoni
3 Beyond Sausages
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
2 Tbsp flour
2 cups beef flavored vegetable broth
15-ounce can diced tomatoes
8 oz vegan cream cheese
1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese, shredded
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions reserving 1/2 cup pasta water for sauce. Strain and set aside. Add 1 tsp olive oil to keep from sticking.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook sausage, breaking apart while cooking until browned, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
3. Melt vegan butter in skillet then saute onion until translucent, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning and continue to saute another minute to release the aromatics.
4. Sprinkle flour over onion then stir for 1 to 2 minutes to create a roux. Slowly wisk in beef flavored vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Stir in tomatoes and return to boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add 1/2 cup pasta water and vegan cream cheese; wisk until smooth.
5. Stir in pasta, Beyond sausage, vegan parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt, pepper. Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil before serving.