My garden is bursting with summer squash and basil so this pasta is a perfect way to use some of it up. Sautéing the summer squash for 30+ minutes transforms it into a delicious sauce that sticks to large pasta noodles.
12 oz rigatoni
1/4 cup olive oil
8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 lbs summer squash, thinly sliced
1 tsp paprika
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 cup grated vegan parmesan
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup basil leaves
Red pepper flakes
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic, stirring occasionally, until very lightly browned around the edges, about 4 minutes. Add squash and increase heat to medium high; season with salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, until squash begins to break down, approximately 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is jammy and soft, approximately 30-35 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta per package directions to al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water to use in sauce. Drain pasta, set aside.
3. Stir paprika and cayenne pepper into squash. Transfer pasta to skillet and add 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid. Stir in half the vegan parmesan. Cook 2 minutes then add remaining cheese along with remaining pasta cooking liquid. Continue to simmer until sauce coats pasta, approximately 2 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and the basil.
5. Serve pasta topped with additional vegan parmesan and red pepper flakes.
Recipe adapted & veganized from Bon Appétit.