Here's a colorful Spanish stew bursting with flavor and chock full of beans and greens to try. Paella seasoning can be made with spices from your cupboard or you can purchase paella seasoning packets from Amazon; same with Mahatma yellow rice. Here's my saffron rice recipe if you prefer to make your own.
3/4 cup yellow rice
1 can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
1 bunch Swiss chard
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp paella seasoning
Handful fresh parsley, chopped
Handful fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp capers
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon (2 Tbsp lemon juice)
1. Cook rice according to package directions. Thinly slice the Swiss chard stems and roughly chop the leaves.
2. Heat a stock pot over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Saute half of the garlic and half of the shallot, with a pinch of salt, until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the chopped chard stems and continue to saute until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the paella seasoning, cannellini beans, 3 cups water, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring stew to a boil then lower heat to simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine the chopped parsley and cilantro, dried oregano, capers, remaining shallot and garlic, red wine vinegar, 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir to combine.
4. Add the chard leaves to the stew, and cook until the greens have wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from stove and stir in juice from half the lemon. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve stew topped with yellow rice and chimichurri. I served mine with fresh bread.
Recipe adapted from Purple Carrot