Soy curls, an excellent substitute for chicken, are the perfect choice for this dish. They are simmered in a buttery lemon caper sauce then served over eggless noodles I bought from Walmart. **Note- Butler "chik-style seasoning" is an awesome product for seasoning soy curls after rehydration. I used a heaping Tbsp before tossing them in the flour and lemon zest. It's optional but well worth buying(from Amazon) if you're a fan of soy curls. **Note Walmart's website list of ingredients for their Eggless Ribbons is incorrect(I've told them at least a half dozen times). The ingredients on the package, do not include egg whites, are correct. Meijer also sells an eggless noodle if you have one of those nearby.
8 oz bag Butler Soy Curls
2 cups No Chick'n vegetable broth
4 Tbsp flour, divided
1 lemon zested
1/4 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup capers drained
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
12 oz Eggless ribbon noodles(from Walmart)
2 Tbsp vegan butter for noodles
1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Toss with 2 Tbsp vegan butter and set aside.
2. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Place soy curls in a bowl (save crumbly bits from botton of bag for another time), then pour in broth. Soak soy curls for 10 minutes, drain and squeeze as much liquid out as possible.
3. Toss soy curls in 3 Tbsp flour and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 3 Tbsp olive oil cook soy curls until well browned, approximately 8 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
5. Return skillet to medium heat. Melt vegan butter then stir in remaing 1 Tbsp flour to create a roux. Whisk until smooth. Cook 1-2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth whisking continously until it comes to a boil. Add juice from 1/2 of lemon, white wine and capers. Simmer 3 minutes, whisking occasionally.
6. Return soy curls to skillet and simmer 2-3 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve over noodles.