With soy curls, anything goes. How about zesty lemon sauce reminiscent of take out? This lemon sauce is easy to make with fresh lemons and lemon zest. I served these zesty curls with simple stir-fried veggies and rice. Yum. *This lemon sauce would be equally delicious with tofu too.
2 cups rice of choice
8 oz bag Butler Soy Curls
2 cups boiling water
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp vegan oyster sauce(aka vegetarian stirfry sauce)
1 cup "no chicken" boullion
2 lemons, zested
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
3 scallions, sliced
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Place soy curls in a bowl then pour 2 cups boiled water over soy curls. Let stand 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain and pat dry, squeezing liquid out of the soy curls(I use my salad spinner to remove liquid then pat dry in a towel).
2. Toss soy curls with soy sauce and vegan oyster sauce until well coated.
3. While soy curls are marinating, in a small saucepan, combine the broth, maple syrup, sugar, zest from 2 lemons, and juice from 1 lemon. Bring the mixture to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Mix the cornstarch with 1/3 cup cold water, then add to lemon sauce to thicken. Continue to cook another 2 to 3 minutes. Taste, and add additional lemon juice if desired. Keep warm on low heat.
4. Toss soy curls in 1 Tbsp cornstarch. In a large skillet/wok over medium-high heat with 2-3 Tbsp oil, stir fry soy curls until well browned, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Pour lemon sauce over soy curls and cook until well coated.
5. Serve Lemon Soy Curls over rice, sprinkled with scallions and sesame seeds.