Like chicken biryani, but vegan, this flavorful Indian rice dish hits the spot. I served this dish with shredded lettuce, cherry tomatoes, Vegan Riata and mango chutney. Don't skip the chutney because the juxtaposition of flavors was amazing. So yum.
1/2 bag Butler Soy Curls
1 1/2 cup chick'n flavored vegetable broth (or vegetable broth)
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 cup water
1 cup cooked le puy lentils(green French lentils)
1 cup peas
2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Place soy curls in a large bowl, break up a little so pieces are bite sized when rehydrated. Heat broth to boiling then pour over soy curls. Let sit for 10 minutes, drain and squeeze liquid from soy curls and pat dry.
2. In a large pan over a medium-high heat and 2 Tbsp oil (coconut oil if available) cook soy curls until browned, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from pan, set aside.
3. Add another 1 Tbsp oil to pan. Saute onions until softened, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt. Return soy curls to pan and cook another 2 to 3 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the garam masala, cumin, turmeric, chilli powder and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water.
4. Stir in the peas and cook until heated through, approximately 2 minutes. Add the lentils and stir for another minute. Stir in the rice and cook until heated through and well combined, approximately 2 minutes. Stir in the green onions and cilatro to combine. Remove from heat.
5. Serve Biryani with shredded lettuce and cherry tomatoes, drizzled with vegan raita and mango chutney.
1/2 cup vegan sourcream
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated English cucumber, peeled
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
1 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt