Winter calls out for simple skillet dinners with root vegetables and a little broth to dip fresh bread in. This one fits the bill. I used Fieldroast Italian sausages, but their regular or apple-sage flavors work too.
4 Fieldroast sausage, sliced
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
4 Tbsp vegan butter, divided
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1/2 head green cabbage, roughly chopped
3 carrots, peeled & sliced
8 baby potatoes, quartered
2 Tbsp tomato paste
15 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup water/broth
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
1. Toss sliced sausage with smoked paprika. In a large skillet over medium heat with 1.5 Tbsp vegan butter, saute sausage until browned, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from skillet, set aside.
2. Add remaining vegan butter to skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions, carrot, green pepper, cabbage and potatoes for 7 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
3. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, water/broth, salt and bay leaf. Return sausage to skillet. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Return cooked sausage to skillet, stir and continue to cook another 5 minutes.
5. Remove bay leaf. Serve with fresh bread.