Yummy roasted root veggies combined with wild rice then tossed in lemon caper sauce makes an easy dinner. Use any vegetables you have on hand. No rules, just yum.
1 cup wild rice
1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved
2 sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 shallot, minced
1 lemon, zested
3 Tbsp vegan butter
1 Tbsp capers
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Cook rice according to package directions. I used my instantpot rice to water ratio 1:1 for 23 minutes with natural release.
2. Toss Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes with 2 Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet for 20 minutes or until browned.
3. In a small skillet over medium heat, toast pepitas until browned, shaking pan to prevent burning, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Return the skillet to medium heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Sauté shallot until softened, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vegan butter and capers, and stir until the butter has melted. Stir in juice from half the lemon, lemon zest and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer and then remove from the heat.
5. Add roasted vegetables, lemon butter sauce and chopped parsley to rice. Toss gently to combine. Serve topped with toasted pepitas.