Delicious rice pilaf over "not your mother's creamed spinach" makes this simplified version of a Purple Carrot recipe a snap to make. I actually prepared the rice in my instantpot(directions included). So yum.
2 onions, chopped & divided
1.5 cups basmati rice
3 cups butternut squash, small cubes
1/2 cup dried fruit(raisins, currants or cranberries)
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 lemon, zested
2 cloves garlic, minced
13 oz can coconut milk
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 lb baby spinach
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Add the butternut squash to a baking sheet. Toss with 1 Tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast until tender and browned in places, approximately to 20 minutes.
2. In a saucepan over medium-high heat with 2 tsp oil, saute half the onions until softened, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add basmati rice, 2½ cups water, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until the water is absorbed and rice is tender, 13 to 15 minutes. **Instantpot-saute onions as directed above then add 1.5 cups water and rice. Cook on high for 4 minutes with natural release**
3. Toast the almonds in a medium skillet over medium heat until lightly browned, approximately 3 minutes. Remove from heat and when cooled, roughly chop, then set aside.
4. Return the skillet to medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Saute remaining onion and minced garlic until softened, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, nutritional yeast, ½ tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper. Once boiling, stir in spinach in batches until all the spinach is wilted then continue to cook until slightly thickened, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Stir the roasted butternut squash, lemon juice, dried fruit and parsley into the cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. To serve spoon the creamed into bowls followed by the rice. Top with toasted almonds and lemon zest.