Mmm yum, pineapple chick'n made with soy curls will satisfy vegans and non-vegans alike. If you prefer, use tofu or store bought seitan chick'n strips instead. **note- a 20 oz can of pineapple chunks in 100% pineapple juice provides both the pineapples and juice required for this recipe.
2 cups rice of choice
6 oz(3/4 bag) Butler Soy Curls
3/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
1/3 cup "no chicken" vegetable broth
1/2 jalapeño, minced(optional)
2 tsp cornstarch
2 bell peppers, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2" (1 Tbsp) fresh ginger, minced
2 cups pineapple chunks
1/4 cup cashews
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
Sliced green onions
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Set aside.
2. Place soy curls in a bowl then pour 2 cups boiled water over soy curls. Let stand 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain and pat dry, squeezing liquid out of the soy curls(I use my salad spinner to remove liquid then pat dry in a towel).
3. In a small saucepan, combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, broth and jalapeño and bring to a low boil. In a small bowl whisk together 2 tsp water and cornstarch, then whisk into saucepan. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. In a large skillet/wok over high heat with 2 Tbsp oil, stir fry soy curls until browned, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and cook 2 minutes more. Add garlic and ginger and continue to cook another 1 minute.
5. Pour sauce over soy curls, lower heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in pineapple and cashews and continue to cook until heated through, approximately 2 minutes more.
6. Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.