Peri-peri, also known as piri-piri or African Bird's Eye Chili, is a hot pepper that is a close relative of the tabasco pepper. I finally had the opportunity to try cooking with this sauce after finding it at Trade Joe's. It's pretty hot in my opinion but my family thinks I'm a wimp. I used Butler Soy Curls to create this spicy one pot skillet dinner. Yum!
8oz bag Butler Soy Curls
2 cups water
2 medium sweet onions, chopped
3 carrots, peeled & sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 cups 'no chicken' boullion
1/4 cup Peri-Peri Sauce
1 heaping cup frozen peas
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Lime wedges for serving
Vegan sourcream for serving(optional)
1. Heat 2 cups water to near boiling. Place soy curls in a bowl then hot water over soy curls. Let stand 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain and pat dry, squeezing liquid out of the soy curls(I use my salad spinner to remove liquid then pat dry in a towel). Return to bowl, season well with salt and pepper and toss.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp oil, cook soy curls until browned, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
3. Return skillet to medium-high heat with another 2 Tbsp oil. Sauté onions and carrots, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Season well with salt while cooking. Add garlic and smoked paprika and continue to cook for another minute. Pour the rice into the pan and stir until coated with oil and slightly toasted. Stir in wine and cook until absorbed, approximately 1-2 minutes. Stir in 'no chicken' broth and Peri-Peri sauce then return soy curls to pan.
4. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook undisturbed for 15 minutes. Add peas to top of mixture. Cover and continue to cook another 5 minutes.
5. Remove the skillet from the heat and let stand 10 minutes.
6. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and serve with lime wedges and vegan sourcream(optional) and/or additional Peri-Peri sauce.
Recipe adapted and veganized from "Nerds With Knives"