My mom would spend an entire day making cabbage rolls. Although I loved them, I'm simply too lazy to put that kind of effort into a dish. The beauty of this version, aside from being vegan, is it cooks in one pot. **Note- plant-based ground needs to be added towards the end of simmering time for best results.
12 oz ground plant-based meat
3 garlic cloves minced
1 onion diced
5 cups chopped green cabbage
28 oz can diced tomatoes
14 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups 'no beef' vegetable broth
3/4 cup long grain rice
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill(1 tsp dried)
1 bay leaf
Sour cream for serving
1. In a Dutch oven over stockpot over medium-highheat, cook ground plant-based until browned and crumbled approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from Dutch oven and set aside.
2. Return Dutch oven to medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp oil, sauté onions and garlic until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Add cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, rice, dill, paprika, sugar, salt, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
4. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 40 minutes.
5. Stir in cooked plant-based ground and continue to simmer another 5 minutes.
6. Turn heat off and let stand 10 minutes and remove bay leaf before serving. Serve with vegan sour cream of desired.