Feeling ambitious? Let's face it, lasagna from scratch is a lot of work. But I have to admit, the result seems worth it, especially when I know my family loves it. Lasagna noodles layered with tofu-hummus ricotta, vegan parmesan and bolognese sauce then topped with a super simple Bechamel makes this vegan lasagna a hit. I made my bolognese sauce with Impossible meat then bulked it up with finely chopped carrots. My secret ingredients include sundried tomatoes in oil and red wine. So hearty, so yum. **note- for best results, cook plant-based ground separately then add to bolognese sauce during last 5-10 minutes of simmering.
16 lasagna noodles
1 cup shredded vegan parmesan
12 oz Impossible meat
1 Large onion, chopped
1.5 cups carrot, finely chopped
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes in oil, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Red Wine
28 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
15 oz can tomato sauce
6 oz can Tomato Paste
1.5 cups Water
2 tsp Dried Oregano
1 teaspoon Dried Basil
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Bay Leaf
Salt & Pepper To taste
14 oz pkg firm tofu, drained & pressed
2/3 cup roasted garlic hummus
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup vegan sour cream
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 cup shredded vegan parmesan cheese
1. Prepare sauce- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion, carrots and sundried tomatoes until onion soft, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic, basil and oregano then continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add red wine and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes to allow the alcohol to burn off.
3. Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, sugar and bay leaf. Season well with salt. Bring to a boil, cover and decrease heat to low.. Simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 30-40 minutes. **Cook plant-based meat separately until browned, then add to bolognese sauce during last 5 to 10 minutes of simmering.
4. Cook lasagna noodles to el dente according to package directions. Drain then rinse under cool water. Place noodles side by side on a lightly sprayed baking sheet to keep from sticking to one another.
5. Tofu Ricotta- Place tofu, roasted garlic hummus, nutritional yeast, extra virgin olive oil and salt into a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
6. Bechamel: Combine sour cream, nutritional yeast and 1/4 cup grated vegan parmesan. Stir until smooth.
7. Assemble lasagna- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread about a cup of sauce into a 9"×13" lasagna pan. Add a layer of noodles.Top the noodles with 1/3 of the tofu ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup grated vegan parmesan. Top with 1.5 cup bolognese sauce. Repeat the layers (noodles, tofu ricotta, parmesan & sauce) ending with a layer of noodles then cover with remaining sauce. Pour Bechamel over lasagna and gently spread to cover the noodles. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup vegan parmesan and a little dried parsley (optional).
8. Bake- I suggest placing a cookie sheet on rack below lasagna to catch any sauce that bubbles over. Cover carefully with foil paper. Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Remove foil, set oven to broil. Broil to brown Bechamel, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Let lasagna rest for 15 minutes before serving.