If you love lasagna but are lazy like me, baked ziti is an easy way to get your lasagna fix without all the work. I used Impossible meat to make a saucy bolognese, but you can use your favorite sauce. I also used Kite Hill ricotta, Violife parmesan and Follow Your Heart mozzarella shreds; all of which are my favorite vegan cheese products. This dish is delicious with Beyond Italian sausages instead of plant-based ground.
12 oz Plant-based ground or 4 Beyond Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 cup red wine (optional)
28 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
14 oz can diced tomatoes
14 oz water
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
12 oz ziti
1 Tbsp olive oil
8 oz vegan ricotta cheese
1 cup vegan parmesan, shredded
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
7 oz vegan mozzarella, shredded
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook plant-based ground(or Beyond sausage) until browned, breaking up to crumble, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
2. Return skillet to medium-high heat with a little oil. Sauté onion until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and Italian seasonings, and continue to cook for 1 minute to release aromatics. If using wine, pour in and cook approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, 14 oz water, bay leaf, salt and sugar. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes while pasta cooks. Return ground plant meat to sauce during last 5 minutes of simmering.
3. Cook ziti to al dente according to package directions. Drain, return to pot and stir in 1 Tbsp olive oil. Combine pasta with vegan ricotta, vegan parmesan and chopped parsley. Preheat oven to 375°F
4. In a large baking dish/lasagna pan, cover bottom with 1/3 of the sauce. Layer half the ziti over sauce followed by 1/3 of vegan mozzarella then top with 1/3 of sauce. Repeat with second half of ziti mixture, more vegan mozzarella and remaining sauce. Sprinkle the remaining vegan mozzarella over ziti. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
5. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until bubbling. Broil to melt and brown mozzarella. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.