What to make with some leftover quinoa and a can of chickpeas? These BBQ burgers are just the answer. So good. I used store bought BBQ spice blend, but making your own BBQ spice is simple and always good to have on hand (recipe included below). I smothered this burger in BBQ sauce and topped them with coleslaw (recipe included).
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (1/2 cup dry)
1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp BBQ seasoning (recipe included)
1 Tbsp ketchup or tomato paste
1 tsp Brown sugar,
1 tso Smoked paprika (or regular)
1 tso Chili powder
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Garlic powder.
SIMPLE COLESLAW RECIPE
14 oz pkg coleslaw mix
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1.5 Tbsp maple syrup (or sugar)
1.5 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
Mix together coleslaw dressing ingredients then toss with coleslaw mix. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
1. Combine ground flaxseed with 3 Tbsp water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2. In a food processor, combine cooked quinoa, chickpeas, panko breadcrumbs, BBQ seasoning, ketchup, flaxseed "egg" and 1 tsp salt. Blend until well mixed, scraping down the sides of the food processor as necessary.
3. Divide the burger mixture and press firmly to form 6 patties. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before cooking.
4. In a nonstick skillet over medium high heat add 1 Tbsp oil. Once the oil is hot, add the BBQ chickpea burgers and cook until crisp, approximately 4 minutes per side.
5. Serve on toasted buns, smother in BBQ sauce and top with coleslaw.