Tofu scrambles are a staple, and when preparing these one dish wonders, anything goes. This one includes chipotle spiced sweet potatoes and beet greens from my garden; spinach, swiss chard or any quick cooking greens would work. No sweet potato? Use a russet potato instead. Although I prefer to use silken tofu (extra firm) in scrambles, I was out so I used regular firm tofu instead. No rules, just yum.
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
1/4 ground coriander
15 oz firm tofu, drained & pressed
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp tumeric
6 cups greens of choice, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
1 avocado, cubed(optional)
Salsa for serving if desired
Salt & pepper
1. Place a large skillet over medium high heat with a little oil. Add sweet potatoes and onions. Season with chipotle powder and coriander. approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet and set aside.
2. While sweet potatoes are cooking, place tofu into a bowl, then mash gently. Season with tumeric, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix gently.
3. Once potatoes are cooked, return skillet to medium high heat. Add additional 1 Tbsp oil. Cook tofu undisturbed for 5 minutes so bottom can brown a little. Stir tofu. Add chopped greens and 1 to 2 Tbsp of water. Cover until greens wilted and water evaporated, approximately 3 minutes. Stir scramble to mix.
4. Return sweet potatoes and stir to combine.
5. Serve tofu scramble with cubed avocado and sprinkle with green onions. Serve with salsa of choice if desired.