Sweet sticky Bourbon Chicken made with Gardein Ultimate plant-based Chick'n Filets is a quick and tasty dish to serve over rice and stir-fried or steamed veggies. I've made this dish with soy curls too. So yum.
4-5 Gardein Ultimate Chick'n Filets
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup bourbon whisky
1/2 cup "no chicken" broth
2/3 cup soy/tamari sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1.5 Tbsp cornstarch
2 scallions, sliced
1. Bake or airfry Gardein Ultimate Chick'n Filets according to package directions. Once cooked cut into bite sized pieces.
2. While filets are cooking, heat a medium saucepan over medium high heat with 1 tsp oil. Saute garlic for 30 seconds then stir in water, apple juice, bourbon, vegetable broth, soy sauce, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, onion powder, ground ginger and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and cook for 12 minutes.
3. Add cooked chick'n pieces to saucepan and continue to simmer another 5 minutes.
4. Wisk together cornstarch with 3 Tbsp water then stir into the saucepan. Continue to cook until the sauce is thickened, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. *for thicker sauce, wisk in additional 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed in 2 Tbsp cold water
5. Serve over rice and sprinkle with sliced scallions.