Occasionally I get wicked cravings that won't go away until I've eaten some. Don't let being vegan get in the way because anything they can make, we can make vegan.
8 oz bag Butler Soy Curls
2 cups boiling water
3 Tbsp cornstarch, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup bourbon
1/2 cup vegetable broth (chick'n flavored)
2/3 cup soy sauce lower sodium
1/3 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 scallions, sliced
1. Place soy curls in a bowl then pour 2 cups boiled water over soy curls. Let stand 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain and pat dry, squeezing liquid out of the soy curls(I use my salad spinner to remove liquid then pat dry in a towel).
2. Toss soy curls with 2 Tbsp cornstarch. In a large skillet over medium high heat with 2 Tbsp oil cook soy curls until well browned and cooked through, approximately 6 to 7 minutes.Remove from skillet and set aside.
3. Heat a medium saucepan over medium high heat with 21tsp oil. Sauté garlic for 30 seconds then stir in water, apple juice, bourbon, vegetable broth, soy sauce, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, onion powder, ground ginger and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and cook for 12 minutes.
4. Add cooked soy curls to saucepan and continue to simmer another 5 minutes.
5. Wisk together remaining 1 Tbsp of cornstarch with 2 Tbsp water then stir into the saucepan. Continue to cook until the sauce is thickened, approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Serve over rice and sprinkle with sliced scallions.