Seasoned plant-based meatballs baked for 15 minutes then smothered in a Mongolian style, sweet and spicy sauce go great served over Chinese greens and rice. I used 2 Thai chili peppers; adjust the heat by the amount you use(remember to discard the inner flakes). Makes 24 meatballs.
2 cups rice of choice
1 head bok choy, whites separated from green
1 lb plant-based ground meat
1/3 cup Panko crumbs
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp minced ginger
2 scallions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
1-2 Thai chili peppers, chopped (flakes discarded) or 1/8-1/4 tsp red chili peppers
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup coconut or brown sugar
1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
1/2 Tbsp vegan oyster sauce(vegetarian stirfry sauce) optional
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook rice according to package directions
2. In a large bowl combined plant-based ground, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp mirin, panko crumbs, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tsp minced ginger and chopped scallions. Shape into 24 balls and place onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
3. While the meatballs are baking, whisk together soy sauce, coconut/brown sugar, water, hoisin sauce and vegan oyster sauce until sugar dissolved. In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tsp oil, sauté garlic, ginger and Thai chilis for 1 minute. Pour in sauce mixture, bring to a simmer and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly, approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
4. Add meatballs to skillet and stir to coat. Set aside while preparing bok choy.
5. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp oil, stirfry bok choy whites for 3 minutes. Add bok choy greens and continue to stirfry another 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Serve bok choy over rice, top with meatballs then drizzle with Mongolian sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Inspired & veganized from Café Delights