Since blueberries are abundant right now, this veganized version brings joy to my kitchen. I used ground flax seeds and applesauce in lieu of eggs. Yes, we can have it all.
2 cups all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain, unsweetened plant milk
Zest from 1 lemon
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup sugar(I used turbinado sugar)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with non-stick cooking spray with flour. Combine ground flax seed with 1/4 cup water and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Prepare crumb topping by combining sugar, flour, and vegan butter. Mix with fork until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add flax mixture, applesauce, vanilla and milk and lemon zest. Add flour mixture and mix just until combine. Stir in blueberries.
5. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with crumb topping.
6. Bake at 350º for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and remove ring.
7. Prepare icing by whisking together powdered sugar and lemon juice to create a thin glaze. Drizzle icing on cake. Cool completely before serving.