I much prefer to make a simple cake baked in a 9"x13" pan over fussing with layers. Simple and quick, and oh so yum.
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
2/3 cup plain non-dairy milk
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup organic sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 tsp salt
2 & 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup raisins(optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 9"x13" baking pan.
2. In a small bowl, stir together oil, plant milk, pineapple, flaxseed and vanilla. Allow the mixture to sit for at least 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl or stand mixer stir the flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt together.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir just until blended, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the carrots, walnuts and raisins.
5. Pour the batter into prepared pan, smoothing out the top with a spatula.
6. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Transfer the to a cooling rack. Frost cake once cake has completely cooled.
CREAM CHEEZ ICING
1/4 cup vegan butter (non-hydrogenated and softened)
1/2 cup vegan cream cheese, softened
2 to 2.5 cups powdered/icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Cream together vegan butter and vegan cream cheese until just combined. Mix in vanilla.
2. Use mixer on high to whip while adding the icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Mix until smooth and creamy. If icing is too thick, add 1 tsp plant milk at a time until desired consistency. If too thin, add additional powdered/icing sugar.