Are they muffins or are they cupcakes? I don't know the answer, but they are absolutely delicious. I used the same recipe and ingredients as the coffee cake, but baked them into cupcakes. Maybe this way I won't eat them all in one day.
2 cups all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain, unsweetened plant milk
Zest from 1 lemon
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/3 cup sugar(I used turbinado sugar)
3 Tbsp cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Line cupcake tray with paper/silicon liners or spray tin with cooking spray.
Combine ground flax seed with 1/4 cup water and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Prepare crumb topping by combining sugar, flour, and vegan butter. Mix with fork until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add flax mixture, applesauce, vanilla and milk and lemon zest. Add flour mixture and mix just until combine. Stir in blueberries.
5. Spray cupcake tin with Pam or use liners. Fill cups with batter then sprinkle with crumb topping.
6. Bake at 350º for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, before icing.
7. Prepare icing by whisking together powdered sugar and lemon juice to create a thin glaze. Drizzle icing over cupcakes. Cool completely before serving.