A little bit creamy, a lit bit lemony and a little bit spicy, but oh so tasty. What a great opportunity to use early spring asparagus. The asparagus pairs well with mushrooms and sundried tomatoes. Although this recipe includes a vegan cream-based sauce, it is very light tasting with the addition of white wine, lemon and basil. Red chili flakes add a bit of heat and a bunch of flavor. Yum. **I used sundried tomatoes packed in oil. If using dried tomatoes, rehydrate in hot water for a few minutes before use.**
1 lb pasta of choice
8 oz mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 bunch of asparagus, stems snapped off and cut into 2" pieces
1/4 cup vegan butter
1 cup non-dairy creamer
1/2 cup white wine(vegetable broth)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 cup vegan parmesan cheese, shredded
1 lemon, juiced (4 Tbsp)
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegan butter and sauté mushrooms for 3 minutes. Stir in asparagus, garlic and red pepper flakes and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, season with salt & pepper.
3. Add white wine and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to allow alcohol to burn off. Add non-dairy creamer and reserved pasta water. Reduce heat to medium, and continue to cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. When the pasta is ready, drain and add to the skillet. Add sun dried tomatoes, chopped basil and lemon juice, stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until heated through, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in vegan parmesan cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with additional vegan parmesan if desired.