It's apple harvest time and that means desserts right? This puff pastry braid makes simple look fancy. Braiding puff pastry is pretty easy but I had to look up how to do it. I used Go Veggie brand vegan cream cheese and Wewalka brand puff pastry found in the refrigerated section. Yum
1 sheet vegan puff pastry, thawed
3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and roughly chopped(approximately 4 cups)
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp sugar
1.5 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
8 oz vegan cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
A little plant milk to brush pastry
1-2 Tbsp turbinado sugar
1. Stir together apples, lemon juice and salt in a medium saucepan. Add 3 Tbsp sugar and flour and stir again. Over medium heat, cook apples for 7 to 8 minutes. Set aside until cooled to room temperature.
2. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together 1/2 cup sugar with vegan cream cheese and vanilla.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Unfold puff pastry onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread cream cheese mixture down center of puff pastry lengthwise. Top cream cheese with apple mixture.
4. Use a sharp knife to cut strips on a diagonal along both sides of puff pastry; about 12 strips on each side. Fold the strips over the top of the apple & cream cheese mixture to create a braided look, until all of the strips are in place. Seal both ends with a little water. (Look up braided puff pastry online for examples).
5. Brush pastry with a little plant-based milk then sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until pastry is golden brown. Let cool completely before slicing.