My daughter Jojo has all the talent when it comes to making sushi. If I provide her with seasoned sushi rice, she makes me delicious sushi rolls. Got to love when it when someone else prepares food for you❤ Recipe for perfectly seasoned sushi rice, and carrot salmon lox included.
2 cups sushi rice
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
2 Tbsp avocado oil
1 tsp salt
Assorted vegetables, julienned (carrots, cucumber, avocado, roasted red peppers), carrot salmon lox, Gardein crabless cakes
Vegan cream cheese
1. Rinse sushi rice in a strainer under cold water for 3 minutes or until water runs clear. In a pot, add rice and 1.5 cups water. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes. (I used my instant pot 1:1 rice to water ratio for 5 minutes, with natural release.)
2. Once rice is finished, combine white wine vinegar, rice vinegar, sugar, avocado oil and salt in a small microwaveable bowl. Heat 30 seconds, stir to dissolve sugar and salt, then pour over sushi rice and mix gently to combine. Let sushi rice cool before assembling rolls; Jojo likes to refrigerate rice for 30 minutes.
3. Center one sheet nori on a bamboo sushi mat. Using wet hands, spread a thin layer of the sushi rice onto the nori, leaving approximately 1" of space at the top for sealing later on. Arrange vegetables in a line down the center of the rice. Lift the end of the mat, and gently roll it over the ingredients, pressing gently. Roll it forward, stopping to wet end of nori sheet with a little water before completing the roll. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
4. Cut each roll into 6 to 8 slices using a wet, sharp knife. Serve with soy sauce/tamari, pickled ginger and wasabi(optional).
CARROT SALMON LOX
1 tsp liquid smoke
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp dulse flakes(or nori snacks)
1. Wash and peel carrots into strips.
Combine liquid smoke, soy sauce and dulse flakes then toss with carrot strips. Refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake carrot strips on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool.