In the mood for a hearty meatball stew? I made this for dinner last night and it was gobbled up in minutes. I added sundried tomatoes and white wine; both of which are optional. Serve with Italian bread to soak up the yum.
1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
12oz ground plant-based meat
1/4 cup vegan bread crumbs(Trader Joe's)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 tsp Italian seasoning(2 tsp each oregano & basil), divided
1/4 cup finely shredded vegan parmesan
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced into 1/2 moons
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 tsp chili pepper flakes
1/3 cup sundried tomatoes (optional)
1/3 cup white wine (optional)
3 cups 'no chicken' flavored vegetable broth
1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 bunch lacinato kale, destemmed and roughly chopped
1 cup plant-based creamer/milk
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp cornstarch
1. In a small bowl wisk together ground flax seeds with 3 Tbsp water. Set aside 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine plant-based ground meat, flax seed mixture, bread crumbs, parsley, vegan parmesan, just 2 tsp Italian seasonings, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Using your hands mix until ingredients evenly distributed. Roll into 16 meatballs and place on baking sheet.
3. Bake meatballs for 15 minutes. Set aside. *Optionally fry in a skillet for 5-6 minutes.
4. While meatballs are baking, place a stockpot over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp oil. Sauté onions and carrots for 5 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper. Stir in remaining 2 tsp Italian seasoning, garlic, sundried tomatoes and chili peppers; continue to sauté another minute. Add white wine (optional) simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken flavored vegetable broth, potatoes and 1/2 tsp salt Bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in chopped kale, return to simmer and cook another 3 minutes.
6. Wisk together plant-based creamer/milk, dijon mustard and cornstarch. Stir into stockpot until well combined.
7. Add meatballs to stew and simmer another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
8. Serve with Italian bread, additional vegan parmesan cheese and chili pepper flakes.