When my daughter came home during the pandemic, I made a lot her favorites; this soup sits at the top of her list. I made my own TVP bac'n bits(recipe included ). If you don't want to make the bac'n bits yourself, most store bought bacon bits are accidentally vegan. I used coconut milk and promise there is no coconut taste whatsoever. White wine optional but it adds depth of flavor. Yum.
4 Italian Beyond sausage links
1/8-1/4 tsp red chili flakes
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup white wine (optional)
4 cups vegan broth(chick'n flavored)
2 cups water
2 lb russet potatoes, cubed
1.5 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper
1 bunch kale, destemmed & chopped
1 can coconut milk
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder (or 1.5 Tbsp cornstarch)
TVP bac'n bits (recipe below)
Vegan Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot or dutch oven, brown sausage in 1 Tbsp olive oil, breaking up as it cooks, approximately 5 minutes. Add chili pepper flakes during last 1 minute of cooking. Remove from pot, and set aside.
2. Saute onion in a little more oil until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add Italian seasonings and cook for 30 seconds to release aromatics. Add white wine if using and cook until alcohol dissipates, approximately 2 minutes, scraping browned bits from bottom of pot.
3. Add broth, water, potatoes, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook until potatoes tender, approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
4. Stir in kale and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes
5. Wisk together coconut milk with arrowroot powder. Stir into soup and continue to cook until heated through and thickened, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Return Beyond sausage to pot. Stir. Serve soup topped with TVP bac'n bits and grated vegan parmesan.
TVP BACON BITS
1/2 cup TVP(textured vegetable protein)
2 Tbsp tamari
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 225°F
2. Combine ingredients except TVP in a small pot. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and stir in TVP until well saturated.
3. Bake on parchment paper lined baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Once cooled, store refrigerated in covered jar